Thursday, February 19, 2009

Jack = Doubting Thomas


So a week ago, I had the following g-chat conversation:

Matt: Lost fell to #11 on most watched.. what happened?
me: lol yeah this season is dumb
Matt: haha...uh oh, don't be a doubting thomas

Now when he first said this, I thinking in my head "um excuse me, that is not proper alliteration, the phrase is "Debbie Downer", but maybe he was trying to be unique and craft up a male version.. but shouldn't that have been "Dave Downer" or "Dan Downer" because they both start with "D"? I decided to let it slip and we continued talking. Anyways, I had completely forgotten about Matt's 'made up' phrase until I was watching LOST last night and found out the truth (ironic yes). This one bad dude, Ben, was in a church and pointed to the picture of Thomas/Jesus shown above, and was explaining to this hot dude, Jack, that he was being a "Doubting Thomas". As it turns out, this phrase is not only legitimate, but it also is derived from a story in the bible.. Heyyoooo!

So basically, Thomas was one of the 12 disciples of Jesus. Thomas, once a loyal follower of Jesus, refused to believe that Jesus was resurrected proclaiming "Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe" John 20:25. Well about a week after Thomas was doubting his entire faith, Jesus appeared to Thomas and the disciples, saying "Peace be with you!" then he said to Thomas "Put your finger here, see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe." Thomas said to him, "My Lord and my God!" Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed, blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed" John 20:25-29. So there you have it. Also, I find it highly ironic that I doubted the veracity of the phrase "Doubting Thomas" until I had physical proof that it was a legitimate phrase.

But the point is, we all face doubt at one time or another when it comes to our faith and that is okay! Even the disciples, that saw Jesus, talked to Jesus, and ate dinner with Jesus wavered on their faith all the way to the crucifixion. However, Jesus gave them everything they needed to know he was in fact the Son of God. In a sense, the story of Thomas is not about doubting. The story if Thomas is about a loving and merciful Jesus. He is so merciful that He will come to us and give us what we need to believe. So, the next time you have doubt, are you going to be willing to ask and look for an answer? Well, you should because Jesus is ready with an answer. Remember, "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him" James 1:5.

Oh and props to Matt for already knowing this phrase!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. word up. i especially liked how benjamin added that part about how we always remember Thomas as the doubter, but forget that part where he seemed most willing to go die with Jesus in john 11:16

    ReplyDelete