Friday, January 9, 2009

Dats My Quataback ! (in the voice of T.O)



I'm sure most of you watched or at least have heard by now the outcome of last nights BCS Championship game between Oklahoma and Florida. But did you happen to take a close look at Tim Tebow, Florida's star quarterback's face?

If you did, you may have noticed that his eye black sported the message John 3:16 (For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believe in him should not perish, but have everlasting life). Normally, Tebow sports Philippians 4:13, (I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me) but decided to mix it up a little bit for the championship game. BTW, immediately following the game "John 3:16 " was the most searched term!!! (Thank you Brad for giving me the link to verify)

John 3:16 that is probably the most well known Bible verse. Basically it's saying that the only way to get to heaven is to believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and your personal savior. Note! It nowhere mentions that simply being a good person will get you into heaven.

And yes, I've often heard many people's own personal philosophy with regards to how to get to heaven. It goes something like this "Well, I am a good person, I feel like I've done more good than bad, so I would presume a loving God would just be cool with that and not make me have to acknowledge or worship Him". Okay, I would like to offer up some TRUTH. (Don’t listen to Jack Nicholson when he say's you can't handle the truth, because I think you can!) Okay here goes... It is a lie to believe that God doesn't care about small sins or that hell is reserved for "bad people." All sin separates us from God, even a “little white lie.” Everyone has sinned, and no one is good enough to get to heaven on his or her own (Romans 3:23). Getting into heaven is not based on whether our good outweighs our bad; we will all lose out if that is the case. "And if by grace, then it is no longer by works; if it were, grace would no longer be grace" (Romans 11:6). We can do nothing good to earn our way to heaven (Titus 3:5).

So, back to Tebow. I didn't really know much about Tebow prior to last night. Sure I knew he won the Heisman last year as a sophomore (which is just incredible), but I didn't really know much else about him. Well apparently after he won the Heisman last year he went to some local prisons and was witnessing to inmates and telling them about the good news of Jesus! Also his parents are missionaries, which explains his background.

Wow. I am just very impressed with Tebow right now... I mean what a great role model and source of encouragement for fellow believers!!!... Here is a guy that is living out what the bible says a Christian out to do

1.) Give all the glory to God. (in numerous interviews after games and even after he won the Heisman trophy award, the first person he thanked was God.)
2.) Share the gospel.

I heart Tim Tebow.

1 comment:

  1. So this is my first time reading your blog. Very cool!! And very cool that you heart Tim Tebow -- I super heart Tim Tebow!!!!!!! Cheers!! And I look forward to more blog posts! RZ

    ReplyDelete