Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Oh Snap!


Last night while I was eating dinner my roommate said "Hey, want me to throw this knife away?". I thought surely she couldn't be talking about one of my CUTCO knives, and if she was, surely she was joking and just wanting to get a reaction out of me. I turned my head around to give her the satisfaction she was looking for, and there she was holding the master carver, in TWO PIECES! Turns out she dropped it on the floor.

I couldn’t believe my eyes. Yes, I know all things over time will break down but not my precious CUTCO knives! Not only are they the Rolls Royce of kitchen culterly, they are supposed to last foreva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva. Seriously though, they are. When I used to sell these bad boys I remember I visited a women who had them for 20 years and they were still trail blazing through some rough carrots. In addition to their durability, Cutco knives are backed by a Forever Guarantee.

We all know that knives break down over time. So how can a company give a forever guarantee? Well it’s simple, they think of the reasons the knife would deteriorate, and then they offer protection from that. A knife’s main function is to cut. A knife can’t cut when it’s dull, so the guarantee offers free re-sharpening indefinitely as long as you send the knife back and pay for shipping in handling. A knife may also lose functionality through misuse or abuse. If you somehow break the knife and it’s your fault, they will replace it for half the current retail value. I guess technically there are two ways the guarantee would be rendered invalid. One way would be if you lost a knife. I highly doubt you could send an empty envelope sans knife stating that you lost it. A second way would be if Cutco went out of business. But let’s be real here, you won’t really lose a knife if you keep it in the block, and until people stop eating there will always be a market for knives.

Putting my two reasons aside, this is one amazing FOREVER Guarantee. And I really don’t think there is anything else out there on the market, knife or not a knife, that has this type of guarantee. Sure plenty of goods have lifetime or limited warranties, but those only last 1-2 years and are usually only valid if there is some type of manufacturing defect. So remembering this guarantee, I called customer service to test the waters. I explained to them that the master carver broke when my roommate dropped the knife on the floor. I was fully ready to agree that it fell under “misuse and abuse” and pay half the current retail value, when the customer service representative simply said “Just send it back to us with a note stating what happened and we’ll send you a new one for free” . WOW. Keep in mind I bought this knife 7 years ago and don't have the original receipt or box!!!!!!!!!

After I got off the phone, I was relieved that I wouldn’t have to fork over cash for a new knife, and also impressed by the authenticity of the guarantee. When they said ‘forever’ they meant it. Now what if I told you there is a forever guarantee that is permanent and eternal. There are no loopholes in this agreement such as losing the item or the Company going out of business. I’m referring to the guarantee in the Bible that tells us one of God's title's is “Everlasting Father”. In order to prove the authenticity of this guarantee, we can examine the typical ways a father can malfunction (i.e. most common flaws of our earthly fathers), and see if God’s guarantee to be our “Everlasting Father” pans out. My pastor summarized this topic well a few weeks ago, and the highlights are below.



Pretty cool right? If you think this might run out in 7 years or God might change his mind, think again. "Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today, and forever." -- Hebrews 13:8

I’m off to UPS to send my knife back. If you want to check out Cutco's guarantee go here.

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Chessy! Your ref to Isaiah 49 is one of my favorites, esp. the next verse, "See I have engraved you on the palms of my hands."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the longest blog I've actually read all the way through without pulling a quick-scan at some point through the middle section.

    ReplyDelete