Monday, April 13, 2009

All the single ladies, All the single ladies, Now put ya hands up!

I never normally watch SNL, but now that I am currently a stay at home mom minus the kids, I decided to watch Oprah when JT was on and they showed the below clip, a parody of Beyonce's "All the Single Ladies". So take a minute, watch, and laugh.

haha is it weird that I think Justin can still be attractive in a leotard? Anyways, I digress. This song is about women who are single.... and it's a well known fact (well guys might not be aware of this) but almost all girls posses THELIST... maybe they have started it when they were little while going gaga over Aladdin or Prince Charming, or maybe they didn't start it until after they dated someone that treated them terribly and realized they needed a reminder of what their standards should be. Regardless of timing, THELIST is a list (either mental list or on a piece of paper or computer) of qualities that a woman wants in a husband. Yes, woman are more complicated than men. And yes, unlike most men, our list of requirements for a mate isn't just "hot and fun". (I am generalizing I realize, so no need to get all huffy like the bike, thanks ! ) Somehow I was randomly thinking about this when I was brushing my teeth before Easter brunch, and when I was going through qualities that most woman seem to want I couldn't help but ask... is it really a husband we are searching for... or is it a savior??? Let's look at a sample LIST of requirements and see what I'm talking about.

#1 Introspective and aware- Women want men to know their own minds and hearts. We want men who know what makes us happy or sad. We want men who are aware of what we want and understand what motivates our action or inaction.
  • Example: Our significant otherknows our thoughts without us having to tell them or hint....i.e. that we want a David Yurman ring or a Tiffany's necklace for our birthday,anniversary, etc and not a vacuum cleaner or coffee maker.
  • How God is this: Because God is all knowing, He knows our thoughts before we even think them ." You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD." (Psalm 139:2-4). "The LORD knows the thoughts of man…" Psalm 94:11, "…God…knows the secrets of the heart." (Psalm 44:21)

#2 Clear, open, sensitive communicator & listener.-Women want men to communicate. Women specifically want communication about feelings, needs, wants, hopes, dreams, problems, solutions and all other things which make a relationship work.
  • How God is this: God cares when we are feeling down, and he will listen to us. "Record my lament; list my tears on your scroll are they not in your record?" Psalm 56:8 O God, Hear My Cry for Help! Pay Attention to My Prayer” (Psalm 61:1).
# 3 Committed to the relationship, exclusively and for the long haul
  • How God is this: "...God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. ""(Hebrews 13:5)
#4 Fun, playful, creative, passionate
  • How God is this: God has a sense of humor...after all us humans do and we were created in His image (Genesis 1:27) ... God is also creative, after all he created created the universe and everything in it (Genesis 1) .... If you don't think God is creative, check out a bleeding heart, a sea horse, or the 25 world's most interesting animals here. God is also passionate, about loving us (John 15:13) wanting to know us personally (Revelation 3:20) and wanting to spend eternity with us (John 14:1-3) "You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:6-8
This list is not exhaustive, it's just a sample. If you think you might want to learn more about what it means to have a personal savior go here

1 comment:

  1. WOW. That video made my night... :)
    And don't worry, I liked all the things you had to say afterward too. A good reminder!

    ReplyDelete